Library cards may be obtained at the Headquarters or any branch of the Library System. Identification verifying name and current address is required. Library cards are issued for three years and are renewable.
Acceptable identification is defined as a valid North Carolina driver’s license or other identification with a photo and a current address, or an official photo identification card and either a utility bill, printed checks, property tax statement, cancelled mail postmarked within 30 days, or a typed lease with a current address.
For security purposes, circulation staff will take a digital photograph upon registration of the patron to be placed in their automated circulation file.
The following are eligible to apply for library cards at no charge:
1. Residents of Lenoir, Greene, or Jones Counties
2. Owners of property in Lenoir, Greene, or Jones Counties
3. Students or teachers in Lenoir, Greene, or Jones Counties
(To check out videos, DVDs or software, students MUST BE RESIDENTS OF
LENOIR, GREENE, OR JONES COUNTIES. Teachers are allowed to check out videos, DVDs, or software, but are not required to be
residents of Lenoir, Greene, or Jones Counties.)
4. Owners of existing companies or corporations licensed to operate in Lenoir, Greene, or Jones Counties
B. Borrowing Limits
1. When a patron first obtains a library card, the patron may check out only two items.
2. After making the first transaction, patrons may borrow library materials according to the limits shown in Appendix A,
“Circulation and Renewal of Library Materials.”
C. Library Card Renewals
1. Patrons’ library cards are valid for three years.
2. Patrons may renew library cards three months prior to the expiration date.
3. The Library Board determines the fees for transient cards.
4. Patrons must pay all fines before renewing library cards.
D. Lost or Missing Library Cards
Lost library cards may be replaced at any branch location with photo identification and payment of a fee set by the Library Board. A parent/guardian is responsible for replacing a juvenile’s card. A patron is responsible for all materials checked out on his/her card until the patron notifies the Library that the card is lost.
E. Fee Cards
Persons not meeting eligibility qualifications for a Neuse Regional Library card may receive a card upon payment of a fee set by the Library Board. This nonrefundable, annual fee entitles the holder to all benefits provided by the Library. Valid identification must be presented to purchase a fee card, and that card must be renewed annually. Fee card patrons are eligible to participate in Video/DVD and/or Software Clubs.
F. Transient Cards
Persons not meeting the above qualifications and who will be in the Neuse Regional Library area for a limited time are eligible to obtain a transient card upon payment of a fee set by the Library Board. After one month’s use, this card may be renewed each month at the rate set by the Library Board. Valid identification must be presented to purchase a transient card. When the patron returns the transient card to the Library, all materials must be returned and all records must be cleared before the patron receives the refundable portion of the fee. The receipt for the transient card must be returned for a patron to receive a refund. Refunds are processed through the Business Office. Transient cardholders are not eligible to participate in Video/DVD and/or Software Clubs.
G. Institutional Cards
The Library issues institutional cards; however, institutional cards are not issued through the Circulation Department or at a branch. Companies or institutions must request the institutional card by means of a letter addressed to the Library Director on the organization’s official letterhead. The letter should contain a statement of authorized users and a statement regarding responsibility. The Library Director must approve all institutional cards. Institutional cardholders are eligible for all services provided by the Library.
H. Juvenile Cards
The Headquarters and all branches of the Neuse Regional Library System issue library cards to children 4 to 17 years old. A parent/guardian must sign the library registration agreement. The parent/guardian must present valid identification in person to ensure that he/she will be responsible for lost or damaged materials.
I. Internet Use Only Cards
Persons not meeting the listed qualifications and living in the Neuse Regional Library area for a limited time are eligible for an
Internet Use Only Card upon payment of a fee set by the Library Board. This monthly fee allows patrons use only of the Internet.
Valid identification must be presented in order to purchase an Internet Use Only Card.
J. Video/DVD and Software Clubs
Persons 18 years and older may join the Video/DVD Club or the Software Club upon payment of a one-time fee set by the Library Board. Video/DVD and/or software borrowing privileges require photo identification and telephone verification. Video/DVD Club
or Software Club members may borrow videos/DVDs or software upon payment of a fee set by the Library Board.
K. School Video/DVD Collection
This collection is designed for use in the classroom and to be helpful in the education of students. Teachers in Lenoir, Greene, or
Jones Counties who meet the eligibility requirements in this policy may borrow school videos/DVDs at no charge for seven working days. (See Appendix A, “Circulation and Renewal of Library Materials.”) Teachers are responsible for picking up and returning school videos/DVDs to a branch of the Neuse Regional Library System. Members of the Video/DVD Club may also borrow school videos/DVDs for three days upon payment of a fee set by the Library Board.
L. Refundable Deposits
The Neuse Regional Library requires a refundable deposit to check out certain high demand materials, such as ASVAB books. A patron is required to keep his/her receipt in order to receive a refund when the material is returned. If the material is not returned within six months, the patron forfeits the deposit, and the deposit will be used to purchase new materials.
M. Interlibrary Loan
An interlibrary loan is a transaction in which books, other library materials, or
photocopies of materials are made available by one library to another upon request. An interlibrary loan must be placed through the Reference Department either in person, by telephone, or through e-mail. Patrons pay a fee set by the Library Board for borrowing materials and for return postage. The fee must be paid when materials are checked out at the Circulation Desk. The checkout period of the lending library is observed.
N. Patrons’ Responsibilities
1. Patrons should report any change in name, address, telephone number, or email address to the Library immediately.
2. Patrons are responsible for all materials checked out on their cards.
3. A patron must present a library card to check out library materials. If a patron has acceptable identification and has forgotten to bring his/her library card to the Library, that patron may check out library materials for a charge set by the Library Board.
4. If a patron loses a library card, the cardholder must notify the Library immediately. A patron is responsible for all materials checked out on his/her card until the owner notifies the Library that the card has been lost. The library card can be replaced for a charge set by the Library Board.
5. The Library reserves the right to deny service to any patron when there is reasonable doubt that he/she is the individual pictured in his/her card’s record; patrons must present acceptable photographic identification in this situation.